Presented by the Greater Easley Chamber of Commerce, Junior Leadership Pickens County (JLPC) is an investment in our future leaders of Pickens County. A leadership development program offered to high school juniors in Pickens County, JLPC is designed to encourage, empower, and equip our young people for leadership roles of the future. Students learn about the Pickens County community by touring businesses and agencies, meeting with community leaders, developing lifelong friendships with students from other high schools, and learning to work in a team environment. However, these are just a few of the program highlights and benefits. Ultimately, JLPC is an opportunity for students to gain a broader perspective of their hometown community (successes and challenges) while developing their leadership and communication skills, with hopes they will assume future leadership roles in Pickens County after high shcool and college graduation. The program objectives are as follows:
- Acquaint students with community needs, opportunities, problems, & resources
- Encourage understanding & acceptance of civic responsibilities & leadership roles
- Encourage sharing of personal leadership experiences with schoolmates
- Foster leadership, communication, & team building skills
- Encourage increased volunteerism & community involvement
- Foster a desire for students to remain/return to Pickens County following college graduation
Approved by the School District of Pickens County, JLPC takes place in January – May of each year and requires selected students to attend six full-day sessions. Approximately 25 students are selected each year for JLPC through a formal application and interview process. High school juniors in Pickens County who are interested in JLPC should contact their high school guidance counselor or call the Easley Chamber at 864-859-2693.